Friday, December 5, 2008

RICE UPPUMA

INGREDIENTS

Rice 1 cup
Water 2 cups
Toor dal 5 tsp
Cumin seeds few
Pepper few
Salt to taste

For Tamper

Mustard – 1 tsp
Bengal gram ½ tsp
Urid dal- ½ tsp
Dried red chilies 4 (broken)
Curry leaves - few
Coconut oil
Hing a pinch

PREPARATION

Wash the rice thoroughly and drain it completely.
In white cotton cloth or a towel, spread the rice for an hr or two under the fan.
There should be no moisture in the rice.
After drying it coarsely mince the rice along with toor dhal, cumin, and pepper in a mixer.
Take a pan, heat oil and tamper with tampering items (coconut oil is best for good flavor and taste). Add curry leaves fry all to golden brown and pour 2 cups of water.
Bring to boil and slowly add the rice mixer. Stir continuously and careful not to form lumps.
After few mts of stirring transfer the content in to cooker vessel and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
U can cook directly in a bronze pot/vengala panai by covering lid. (Little bit tough method need to stir on and off)
Let it be cool for some time and slowly tousle the uppuma.

My Mom used bronze pot to prepare this. The taste will be heaven. And we die for the last layer of uppuma (slightly burnt one stuck at the bottom of the pot). This is my husband’s favo too. Brinjal kosthu is the perfect combo of this Uppuma. Post this kosthu in my next post. Its Awaiting in my PC……

I m sending this to FIC - White host by Kitchen Flavours, Event started by Sunshinemom of Tongue Ticklers.. ....

17 comments:

sriharivatsan said...

One of my favo dish. I usually add vegetables (cabbage, potato, carrot, brinjal, beans) along with this and the taste will be, as you said, heaven.

Adlak's tiny world said...

That will be sure tsty dear. I too add some of veg but this time since i m planning to send to that white food event, i did not add any veg thinking that the color may get changed.

Thnaks for the imdt response.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Now that we have to send some recipes to fic white event, we r trying to modify the recipe according to that right.. hehehehe..in my coconut sweet rice, i added saffron only in the end, coz adding it in the begining will change the color of the rice. lol

arisi upma is my fav... i have been thinking of posting it for quite some time now.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

and regarding the background, it's my dhupatta.. hehehehehe

lubnakarim06 said...

Thank you for the entry dear. Now you are completely familiar with the events and blogging. I read your comment on adding veggies. Thank you for making this recipe for the event. Iam happy and honoured. Comming to the recipe, this is something new and looks welcoming. Nice presentation too.

Finla said...

I love upma especially when i add a litle spoon of sugar to them while eating upma.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Ha ha ha i guess it must me some cloth. I too used my new pillo, bread spread, my hubby's shrit?! and my embriodary chudi and dhuppata... hope some other also using the same idea... Wat a creative blogger we are ya... Pullarikuthu...

Thanks KF, the pleasure is mine to send the recipes to yr event.

S ofcourse it ll be tasty by adding little sugar HC,i remember my child hood days....

Deepthi Shankar said...

i love rice upma .. looks lovely dear

anudivya said...

Achoo! Yaar indha cute kozhandhai?
Nice ample cheeks! Semma cute'a irukku.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hahaha.. nan innum en hubby shirt use panna arambikalai.. sounds like a good idea. :)

CurryLeaf said...

Have heard about it,but never tried,thinking its too much work grinding.You have made it look much easier.Thanks.I like the new profile pic too.

Cham said...

My mom makes it :) As I am not big fan of upma i make it very rarely! Good one!

Unknown said...

mmmm looks yummy hema any time i can have this upma but my hubby don't like that hummm what to do he he

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hema my mil makes it so yummy. in our family also we all will will fight for the bottom most part of the upma. even my fil. my father also great fan of this upma and brinjal ghotsu.yummy and easy recipe. hope ur new logo ie ur pic got a good welcome.the same chuby cheeks still now.ha haaa

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thanks Deesha, anu, CL,cham, rekha and jeyashri.

Anu its me only...

kannu vaikathe jeyashri apparam nan ellachida poren hm....

Sunshinemom said...

My Grandma's specialty, Hema:) She used make this in a big brass uruli! Lovely dish and beautiful entry:)

Vikis Kitchen said...

wonderful recipe dear. Brinjal kothsu ..always a great combo with any uppuma.