Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CHENNA MASALA-SOUTH INDIAN STYLE AND AN AWARD

I already posted CHOLE MASALA in North Indian style and this one I learnt from my mom, typical south Indian-Tamil Nadu style. This is very easy to prepare yet tasty too. My mom prepares this for puri, chappati and we also love to have this as Bread chenna, samosa chenna etc.

INGREDIENTS

Kabuli chenna 2 cup
Tomato 2
Onion 2
Green chilli 3 to 4
Red chilli 2
Garlic 5 pods
Ginger one inch
Anni seeds 1 tsp
Poppy seeds ½ tsp
Cinnamon ½ inch
Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Black pepper ½ tsp
Grated coconut 2 tsp
Coriander ½ bunch and a few for garnishing
Garam masala/Chenna masala 1 tsp
Turmeric a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil for tampering


PRPERATION

Soak Chenna over night or abt 8 hrs. Pressure cook by adding half salt to it. Keep aside.

Grind all above said ingredients to a thick paste except masala, turmeric and salt.

Take a pan heat abt 2 to 3 tsp of oil. Pop up mustard/cumin/anni seeds. Then add the masala paste in to it. Saute for few mts until the raw smell goes.


Add turmeric, salt and masala powder. Mix well. If the paste is too thick add water and let it boil for few mts till the aroma of masala spreads. Use the water which we have used for cooking the chenna.

Add cooked Chenna and combine well and allow to boil for few more mts.

Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot.

Accompanies very well with Parathas/chapatti/bread/Chenna samosa.

Enjoy the Hot and Spicy Chenna with your evening snacks/dinner.

This is my daughter's favrt dish.. she will have one more paratha/chapathi with this masala. I used to prepare this especially for her to stuff more chapati atleast twice in a month.

Sending this to

1.JFI - Chickpeas Event.
2.FIC Yellow hosted by Sunshinemom.
3.Alka's Just for you .
4. SRIVALLI S Legume -love -affair at cooking4allseasons.started by Susan

This Beautiful Award I got from my dear friends Priti of Indian Khana and Varsha Vipins of Will-O'-the-Wisp. I feel so honored and happy to recive this from u my dears. Thanks a lot for thinking me for this Award.

I would like to pass this Award to all my blogger friends who are all visiting and commenting this post.. My main aim is not to miss anyone in my list. so please, Feel free to pick the Award dears. Thanks a lot.

32 comments:

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks delicious dear. will try it. never made this way with coconut. sure a try panren.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thank u mahima for the so quick response and lovely words.

Anonymous said...

Hema,i love channa masala too;but this style is new to me..looks yum yum.

sriharivatsan said...

Seems easy one..Will be useful..Thanks for sharing..

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai dear...this is really inviting me...lovely..Congrats on ur award...

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hema i like this version.will give a try.slightly similar to the kadala curry.i love kabulichanna in any way.

Sunshinemom said...

Looks so good, Hema! The masala makes me drool! Thank you!

FH said...

Oh, I love south Indian style Chole. Sometimes in the Southie restaurant, they serve this, very spicy and yummy. I will bookmark it, thanks! :))

Gita Jaishankar said...

The curry looks very delicious Hema...Love the array of spices used here like poppy seeds...congrats on your award dear :)

Adlak's tiny world said...

thanks friends for yr lovely comments. will try and enjoy the taste.

Finla said...

I still have to make something for the legume event.
I love channa, and this looks yummy yumm.

CurryLeaf said...

Lovely masala.Another yummy recipe from your kitchen.Will surely try too many items to grind,but I am sure the effort is worth it.Lovely

Preety said...

this is my hubby's fav dish..looks lovely

Premyscakes said...

Chenna masala looks yummy and i luv that color.

Varsha Vipins said...

Enakkum Romba pudicha dish ithu.:)

Yasmeen said...

I'm hungry for some Spicy chole masala right now.Congrats on your award:)

suvi said...

my first time here...such a yummy blog! looks lovely the channa masala - makes me drool!though never tried it with coconut!

Nithya Praveen said...

I think the south indian type is much better than the north indian one.I kinda like this:-) great recipe!

Cham said...

Coconut sure bring some Southie style! Looks delicious

anudivya said...

Hema, I see that the channa has sprouted and that makes it all the more healthy... very nice.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thank u HC,CL, premy,preeti, varsha, yasmeen, aquadaze, Nithya,cham and anu...

s anu i used sprouted ones... thanks n wondering on yr keen observation..

Vijitha said...

Looks so yummy dear! coconut version is kinda new to me. Will try this for sure :-)

Raks said...

Sounds great Hema!Mouthwatering! Different from usual right?

Unknown said...

coconut makes the difference.. i was wondering how this is made in the south way..

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow yummy, spicy and easy recipe. Will try this soon. Congrats dear for the award.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thank u vij, rakhs, KF for nice commnts.

Yep its difrnt sowmya this might be my ammas style- adding the 2 tsp of grated coconut in that.. Jus i followed her in this recipe.

Jaishree Iyer said...

Chenna masala looks yummy ...coconut makes the difference.lovely curry...lovely..Congrats on ur award...

AnuSriram said...

Thats yummy channa masala.. Looks lovely! Congrats on your award!

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thanks for the nice words jaishree and anusriram.

Usha said...

The coconut must really add a different flavor to the channa masala, looks yum. Congrats on your award !

ms said...

Hi Hema,
what a lovely entry to JFI Chickpea! I am not quite familiar with this south indian style of channa - nice use of coconut,

best,
ms

R said...

I really love the south style chenna masala simply because my hubby prefers it.. ;)

Click here for your award