Thursday, November 13, 2008

IYENGAR'S PULIODHARAI

This is our traditional, famous and tasty dish. Usually I prepared this during festive times like AvaniAvitam (Poonal funtion), Chitra pournami (Full moon day comes on April month) or Tamil New Year's day along with other variety rice.

My mom prepare this very tasty and we fond of her recipe. This is my mom signature one. She used to prepare the gravy a lot especially for me and give me in a big bottle. Still I can recollect the story and i wondered how mad i was that time for this. let me share the story first....

That time my little one was in my stomach (9 th month running). when i went for Doctor's checkup she has given me only 3 days time as i had some complication so i has to undergone Cesarean operation to give birth to my baby. Now what do u think sure i got tensed and sacred about the delivery right.... Let me come to the climax

I was asking my mom for a month to prepare puliodharai and avial combo. with some or other reason she could not prepare that. I rushed up to home and imdtly told my mom at any cost I need puliodharai and avial tomorrow. Before getting admitted in hospital i have to eat that. In that three days i had at the maximum of my favourite dishes from my mom's hand. I know u must me thinking that I am a sappatu Rami (Craze abt foods) No I am a very normal eater. Even now I wonder how and why and what made me to behave like that on that day.....

The grt thing
is my little one is now 3 yrs and he is also fond of this dish. Ha! Ha! Ha!
Here u go for the recipe don't want to bore u more.....

INGREDIENTS;
Dried Red chillies -(5 (broken)
Tamarind extract: 5 cups
Ground nuts: 3 tsp
Channa dal: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: about 10
Cooking oil: 2 tsp
Sesame (Gingili oil): 1 tbsp
Yellu (til/sesame seeds): 1 tsp
Salt to taste

To Grind:
Dried Red chillies : 2
Channa dal: 2 tsp
Urid dal: 1 tsp
Pepper corn: 1 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds 1 tsp



METHOD
Pulikachal (the gravy)Step 1

Roast channa dal, urud dal, and pepper corns in 1 tsp cooking oil till both the dals turn golden brown.
Add 2 red chilies to this and fry it for about 15 seconds.
Grind all the roasted ingredients.

Step 2

Heat 1 tsp of cooking oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.Once the mustard seeds splutters, add ground nuts and 3 dried red chillies (broken into quarters or halves).
After roasting the ground nuts for few seconds, add the curry leaves, a pinch of hing tamarind water and salt.
Boil for about 15-20 minutes and then add the ground ingredients Continue boiling till the mixture thickens.
This will take about 5-10 minutes.Take the pan off the flame and add a little roasted yellu/sesame and mix well.
Let the pulikachal cool and then store it in air tight containers.
You can use this pulikaachal for long especially if you store it in the fridge. Pulikachal can be used like a pickle to go with roti, curd/yogurt-rice etc.


PULIODHARAI RICE -Step 3

Add required quantity of pulikachal and 2 tsp of sesame oil to cooked rice and mix well. Mix carefully without mashing the rice. Your PULIODHARI IS READY…. AVIAL is the best combination of this rice.

Sending this to
Sudeshna's Harvest -the festival of rice Event.

35 comments:

Gita Jaishankar said...

My husband I love puliodarai. I too used to get pulikozumbu mixes from my MIL when I get a chace. Nothing tastes better than home-made pulikozumbu. Thanks for reminding me of these fond memories :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Enjoyed reading your thirst for puliyotharai. The recipe is perfect and my taste buds started craving on seeing the picture.
Yes, nothing can beat a puliyotharai.
Nice posting dude.

Jeyashris Kitchen said...

hema my daughter is also mad of puliyadarai.I always keep the mix,that is gravy in my fridge.U made it in adifferent way.will try iyengar famous puliyodarai

Purva Desai said...

This looks really good and delicious....thanks for sharing dear..

Usha said...

This puliyodharai looks delicious and perfect....

Finla said...

I remember having this in bangalore in one of my sisters friends place and i loved it.

Yoli said...

Oh my goodness those ingredients! That sounds and looks delicious!

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thanks GK,Viki,jeyashri, purva, HC and yoli for yr hearty words here.

AnuSriram said...

Puliyodarai..hmm... is my all favourite. ur recipe sounds good! I too make it frequently

Cham said...

Ha ha, that is why ur little one is fond of pullihora ...Just divine!

Sagari said...

puliodarai looks mouth watering

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

i am iyengar too :-) puliyodharai supera iruku paakaa.. bookmarked!

Uma said...

mmm. delicious tamarind rice! looks so mouth-watering. Nice picture.

anudivya said...

Just like my mom used to make it. Looks lovely and tangy.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Pulihora looks like those served in the temple... How do you getta make like that??? Lets get into a deal, you should send me some and I will have them all... What say???

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I wrote a comment and I was not sure whether it reached you or not by the time there was an error so came back and wrote another one... Hope you dont mind that...

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thanks all of u for yr nice commnts.

happy to note u 2...mahima.

He he he u r rite cham...

I m so happy ramya for the concern and care. I rcvd both yr commnts. Thanks dear. double ok for the deal but visit my place.

Jaishree Iyer said...

I love puliodarai.puliyodharai looks delicious and perfect.I too make it often.

lubnakarim06 said...

Mouthwatering, Yummylicious, dribbling recipe.

Pavani said...

looks yummy n colurful

Pavani said...

ur kids look cute

Bhawana said...

This is one of my favourite recipe. But I dont know how to make that masala. I jjust use MTR ready made powder.. looks soo tempting.

Yasmeen said...

I love tangy tamarind rice!A surprise for you in my blog:)

Adlak's tiny world said...

Thank u so much for the nice words jeishree, pavani,Bhawna and yasmeen.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Please check my blog, I have something for you :)

Recipeswap said...

A surprise for you in my blog:)

vidhas said...

Hi Hema,

You know i am also an Iyengar. Come and collect the award from my blog. Kreative blogger is especially for your stories.:-)

Adlak's tiny world said...

Oh Thank u GK, n33ma and vidhas for honoring my blog by yr awards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sapatu Rami,

Yes, you are right. Me to the same. I like Puliodharai. My mom with appalam. Its nice combo. Guess who????. I like this receipe.

Priya Suresh said...

Hi dear, check my blog i have again something for u..http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/11/360-foodie-award-n-yumyum-blog-award.html..

Nive said...

i saw ur recipe and was so tempted i tried it out :) it came out grt and reminded me of my mom's cooking..... nothing beats a puliyotharai :) thx for the recipe

gtyuk said...

I am a saappaattu rami too; mmm, looks so yummy! i remember eating it during the school excursions... with some thovayals, mmm, naan idha appadiyey saappittu viduven, i don't need any side dishes!

Dershana said...

My paati used to make puliodharai like this too. I love it not just mixed with rice but also with dosas and idlis :-) your amma and lil one do bear a resemblance, right? their eyes look alike.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I tried this yersterday and it came out simply superb! we have been eating puliyodharai for the past 2 days for dinner.. it is so satisfying.. very tasty. thanks for the recipe dear.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the excellent recipe, turned out to be great puliodharai, my friends liked very much..